My first novel, Leaving Annalise, was selected as the winner of the Writers’ League of Texas2010 Manuscript Contest in the Romance Category.  Now, L.A. is NOT a romance, but women’s fiction was not one of the categories, and L.A. is very romantic (and comedic and suspenseful!), so I chose to enter it in romance.

I AM PRETTY DARN EXCITED!!!

Well I guess this makes me a somebody (not).  But, I do win stuff.  And that’s always good.

What do I win, you might ask?

I win free admission for myself, and an opportunity to purchase a ticket for my husband (who would not otherwise be allowed to go), to the keynote luncheon at the Annual Conference this weekend.  But, the golden ticket in the Wonka bar is a 10-minute meeting with the agent who judged the contest, the awesome young adult fiction agent Laurie McLean of Larsen Pomada Literary Agency.

In a stroke of serendipity/fate, I had already planned to seek out and introduce myself to Ms. McLean because one of the principals of her agency is currently reviewing my second novel, Going for Kona, on an exclusive, and she had reviewed L.A. on exclusive and asked to see an edited version.  WLT could not have given me anything more valuable as a prize.  Ten thousand dollars would not have made me as happy as I am about this ten minute meeting.

The goal of attending these types of conferences is three-fold:

1.  Learn more about the art of writing

2.  Network with other writers

3.  Gain an audience with an agent

Many conferences attract writers by awarding ten minute sessions with an agent.  WLT offers this, and I am ELATED to be meeting with women’s fiction agent Jill Marr of the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency — she was my first pick of agents to meet and make my pitch to about L.A.  But this prize of a second agent meeting, with this particular agent — of all the agents there — is invaluable to me.

Now don’t go asking me if it is published yet and where you can buy it.  This process takes a long time.  But thank you to the faithful who have supported me for the last six months as I came out of my writer closet and shouted, “Here I am!” to the literary world.  We are one step closer, on a journey of a million steps.

I am all agog and aflutter now.  The conference is Saturday and Sunday.  Wish me luck.

And congratulations Katie, Nick, and Annalise, from Pamelot, who couldn’t have loved you more as I wrote every one of your words faithfully down.  I hope this is just the beginning of your road to joy.

Happily, excitedly yours,

17 Responses to Major Milestone on the Road to Joy

1. Heidiopia says:

YOU are my hero, Pamelot. But some major love for Katie, Nick, and our precious Annalise. 🙂

Congratulations…that seems inadequate. I am so thrilled for you. Can’t wait to see you on the NYTimes Bestseller list.

2. Jessica says:

This news is so exciting. Congrats and I wish you great results at the conference.:)

3. Susie says:

We are so excited for you. After having the privilege to read many cuts and versions of Annalise we are nolt at all surprised that you won. GO PAMELA!
    M & D

4. Susie says:

Yipee!!!!! Can’t wait to get on off the shelf, of course I will seek the author for her autograph.. Ms. Somebody pretty darn special!!!!

love, Aunt Susie 2

5. natalie says:

WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hard work/effort, is often rewarded in life but not always in the literary industry.

Natural talent is the same.

Put those two things together and it is tough not to realize something meaningful is before us.

Pamela, congratulations! You are the hardest working gal with natural writing talent that I have ever met. I am so proud of you and honored.

WOW! and MUAH!

I am so proud of you

6. bruce williamson says:

You go, well done. We are very happy for you and yours. b and p

7. Luther says:

Pamela, congratulations! You have worked hard for this honor and we are proud of you.

8. Joel says:

Great news! Talent and persistence pays off! Good luck at the conference.

9. […] snarky after the seriousness of last week’s Confessions of a Guilt-Stricken Mom, and the conference/contest blogs.  Thanks for hanging with me.  Y’all […]