Email subscribers, you’ll need to go out to the actual website to view the video taken after Eric and I did a solo half ironman for my 44th birthday.  And OF COURSE you’ll want to do that!

How cool was it of Eric to do this with me?  Because I probably would have quit after the swim without him.  I felt wayyyyy pukey.  OK, I know, TMI, but I had head congestion and I’m a side to side breather (explained in the comments to this post).  We had a nice bike leg, and the run was easy b/c we were only able to run half (walked the other half) due to my plantar fasciitis recovery.  Total time with our mega-driving transitions a dismal 7 hours…but we did it, and we had a blast.

For those of you who are new visitors and are looking for my blogs on triathlon and biking (most of which are COMEDY), check out:

Floater (aka He Who Laughs Last)

This Should Lead to a Spike in Icy Hot Sales

Nice Legs

Best Laid Plans

Getting Our Groove On

14 Going on 44

Yay!

October 2009, Longhorn 70.3 aka Half Ironman, Austin TX. Essentially, the same time as I logged today.

29 Responses to Happy Birthday Half Ironman :)

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Eric Hutchins, PamelaFaganHutchins. PamelaFaganHutchins said: Happy Birthday Half Ironman 🙂 http://f.ast.ly/4Yt55 […]

2. Love the VLOG. You two are so dang cute! Happy 44th Pamela. You look mahvelous dahlink! And Congrats on the half marathon. Woot!

3. LBDDiareis says:

I don’t begin to understand everything you did or said, but I know you are glad you did it so that is good enough for me! Happy Birthday. Eat chocolate.
    LBDDiareis recently posted..Luv – I Cross My Heart

🙂 We swam 1.2 miles, rode 56 miles on the bike, and ran 13.1 — it’s 70.3 miles which is called a half ironman. And thank you, it was awesome, and baby it is all about being able to eat afterward. My little calories burned calculator says I did 4,773, of which I took back in less than 1000 along the way, and skipped lunch, so I am about to eat my body weight in red velvet cupcakes Sami made for me!

4. Heidi Dorey says:

Happy Birthday!
    You are cute.
    Good for you – gettin’ out and working so hard on your birthday.
    More videos! Yay!

OMG, I am soooo tired now. I had a ton of energy for about 20 minutes, and we scarfed a bunch of carbs and then BOOM the wall, and now we are waiting for Sami to get home so we can eat and Eric and I are teetering we are DEAD. But it rocked, it was awesome.

5. For some reason I can’t view the video. It keep saying error. I need to watch this thing. A half Ironman……WTF? Wow, you guys impress me more and more each time I heard something.

Darryl
    Loving the Bike recently posted..Hashtag Tuesday- creatinghashtags

You ROCK! I can think of no better way to spend a birthday. You are an inspiration, Pamela. Happy 44th!
    Ally recently posted..Love Is

7. Heidi M says:

Love that y’all did this together! And I’m totally impressed that you jumped back into your mega mileage after doing 2+ miles on your runs. Hope you can recover today… let me know how it feels at 44– I’m right behind you. 🙂
    PS–Red velvet totally rocks. Go girl.
    Heidi M recently posted..Girls Weekend

8. you, birthday girl, kick some serious ASS.
    i can’t watch the vid b/c everyone’s still asleep…but will come back later.

what is a side-to-side breather? or is that answered in your cute little vlog?
    😉

xoxox
    erin margolin recently posted..Teenagers Tumbling

Side to side breathing means that I alternative breathing to the right and left, and when I have allergies, sinus, or a cold, the full range of head motion over and over makes me very nauseous. Eric breathes only to the right. so he moves his head (and thus any fluid in it) less than half as much as me. usually, side to side breathing is an advantage, but, like any style, if you become dependent on it and are inflexible in changing it when necessary, it has its moments of disadvantage. and i like to breathe every 3rd stroke. i hate breathing every 2nd, or 4th. so, no matter how sick it was making me yesterday, i just stubbornly kept doing it. when i finished, i was green with black circles under my eyes and we weren’t sure i was going to be able to finish with the bike and run. But i did. Thankfully. It would have been a huge bummer to fail on the swim.

44? Are you fucking kidding me?? No way! YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!! Eric’s one lucky guy!! You two are really adorable! I hope you have a great birthday! Eric’s bike is the pink one, right?

Nice Irene, NIIIIIICE. 🙂

Love that the birthday flowers are right in the center of the shot. hah, dont think you even planned that.

For those who are not aware of Pamela’s determination when she sets her sight on something. SHE LOOKED terrible as she was finishing swimming, she was a pale greenish color with dark circles under her eyes, I was not sure she would even finish the swim. We had to drive the car home at 5 mph with the windows down so she would not puke.

Somehow she climbed up on the bike and got going, and managed to maintain an amazing pace on the trainer (for bikey people, big ring, and middle in the back, with around an 85 rpm, on a fluid trainer. For 3 HOURS. And then heading outside and going 13 miles on a broken foot.

Whew.

I don’t kid myself about why you love me, honey. It’s because we are alike in a way that many people don’t understand (or think is nuts) but that we respect. Extremes. No down time. Pain = Awesomeness.

And I really don’t know how I didn’t throw up in the pool. Which would have been totally gross. The bike felt a little wobbly at first, too, but I knew if I just ignored it, the motion sickness would go away. Eventually. Hopefully. And it did! I felt great the rest of the time. Thank you for being patient with me.
      Pamela recently posted..Love is family and friends

13. Rebecca Nolen says:

That is a LOT of swimming and other stuff. Wow! I have to report that I do two miles on the bike at an average of 12.8 miles per hour. Yeah me! You are my inspiration. Happy Happy Birthday! mmmm. red velvet cake, slobber.

Pamela, you woman, you!

15. SuzRocks says:

Holy Crap! I totally don’t think I’d be able to do that. I started swimming about 10 years ago with the goal to do a triathlon. Which I’ve never actually managed to do. So I’ve been swimming on and off, hoping one day to be able to fit it into my schedule. I am the worlds slowest swimmer though- and I am somewhat afraid of getting kicked in the head.
    SuzRocks recently posted..9 Songs To Make You Smile

Yeah, open water swimming can be scary — flailing humans, goggles kicked off, getting the wind knocked out of you. I like the swim the least. Our birthday triathlon was in a nice clean bright pool, just the two of us. MUUUUCCCCHHHH Bettuh!

16. […] and I created and did our own half ironman triathlon on my 44th birthday, here in our neighborhood, just the two of us. It […]