I love the hell out of the robotics competitions Clark the ADHD Wonder Kid participates in.  All those smart, techy kids geeking their hearts out.  And if you don’t already have ADHD before you go to one, you’ll feel like you do while you’re there.  Flashing lights, loud music, people everywhere, and all the while a competition ongoing complete with a big screen scoreboard and an announcer on acid.  Clark is a robot driver.  Driving the ‘bot is akin to gaming, but IRL.

Take a peek (just watch until it wears you out — it may be long, but you can jump ship at any point):

(Email subscribers will need to click the title of this post and head out to the internet to watch the video)

Or Click Here: Robotics

I need a nap!

p.s. Clark’s team WON the Global Socioeconomics Case Contest at Rice University for Southwest Houston high school teams.  They did a plan for Somalia and presented it.  RAWK on Clark/Bellaire!  They were awarded a $250 microloan made on their behalf, and the team receives the proceeds of the loan.  Kind of a cool way to involve them in the program.  The microloans through this program have had a 98% success rate (collectibility).

14 Responses to Dork-a-palooza

1. I love geeky stuff like that. I’m a computer nerd, so I would. Duh. Vegas has the robotix competitions as well. Smart kids!

2. SuzRocks says:

That’s awesome that they WON. Being a part of the microfinance stuff, will be so cool for them.
    SuzRocks recently posted..A Scrotum Almost Killed Me

What a totally cool thing that microloan win is! Good for them!
    I know very little about these robotics competitions, but I’ve been hearing about them more and more. Sounds like a great outlet for “smart, techy kids”. 🙂
    Ally recently posted..In Her Head

There really is something for everyone the trick I think is finding it, and letting go of your own ideas of what it means to be successful or happy.

I posted that on a facebook comment to this blog, and it is as much for me and for what I have learned in this, as it is for anyone else. I have a set of paradigms about what a kid should do and what helps them develop, succeed and ultimately be happy, and they are, of course, based on what I like and think.

The hard part is to not try too hard to impose your perspective on everyone else. Clark has taught me in the last 2 years about succeeding and finding happiness in ways I never would have dreamed.

Me too. It’s expanded my mind and perspective. I hope not just toward him, but toward everyone. Enduring w/him the pain of middle school and failures (humiliating, self esteem crushing failures) I think made us more open when he found himself to his enormously different needs than ours, and how, where, and in what he would find joy and growth and pride and success. He is a handful. But he is joyful. And he stretches us. I am so proud of him and happy for him.

Thank you, honey, for embracing our beautiful mess.

Oh, alittle Lady Gaga to set the mood!

That’s exciting! I’d love to go to something like that! I used to love the science fairs my kids were involved in. We didn’t have these neat robot contests. Video was great!

These events are so much fun, that it makes me want to write young adult fiction around it, with my boy as the prototype for the lead character. and I just may do it. they’re so vivid. Amazing kids.

6. Sandy says:

I was so amazed I watched the entire video. I didn’t not even know they had competitions like that for kids. Just think of the things these kids will invent/accomplish when they grow up. I am just in awe!
    Sandy recently posted..Sad News

7. Rebecca Nolen says:

I love geeks. Clark is a cool kid!