I love this stuff.

By Eric/@trimon29/Bubba-mon

Note from Pamelot: This is part two in a multi-part requested series on dietary supplements by my good looking husband and ex-GNC stores owner, Eric.  For part one on the supplement industry in general, click HERE.

Topic #2: Injury prevention/pain relief

All of us have or will have joint pain, either from aging or injury or both. Sometimes it can be so severe that it limits what we can do. A group of products very high on my list of things that REALLY work is the various combinations of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and Sam E.

I have a lot of problems with knee pain and have had one knee reconstruction surgery related to old athletic injuries. I am convinced the only reason I can run marathons and do triathlons now is through the use of these products. Many of the compounds sold today (including one by the runaway market leader, Osteo-Bi-Flex) are horse pills that are hard as diamonds. I have NOT had good success with them.  I encourage you to find either the liquid solutions or the liquid filled gel caps as I think they are far easier for your system to deal with.

I mix a liquid (2000 mg Glucosamine, 1200 mg Chondroitin, 500 mg MSM made by  Wellesse) in my morning breakfast drink and take a tablet form of 200 mg Sam-E.  I also stir one packet of Emergen-C MSM Lite into that drink, which gives me a little more MSM in a powdered form, as well as a jolt from 1000 mg of vitamin C.

Muscular cramping, like what occurs during extended physical activity is often (not always) the result of a mineral deficiency. If you have a problem with cramping during exercise you may not be getting enough in your diet. If you want to go the supplement route for cramping, I encourage you to take a combination of potassium, magnesium and zinc.

* People with heart issues need to be really careful with potassium and make sure you talk to your doctor first. *

There are many different chemical forms that these minerals can come in and the cheapest are often nearly indigestible/unabsorbable. Read the fine print labels on the back and determine exactly what form of the mineral is being delivered. For potassium I would recommend potassium gluconate, (and once again be very very careful with potassium). For magnesium make sure that it is a chelated form like magnesium citrate.

Calcium is huge to prevent bone density loss, particularly for women, but everyone needs it and it is missing in most people’s diet. Like the minerals mentioned above, calcium can come in many different forms. Some of those which are sold on the market as supplements are nearly worthless and will come out of you in essentially the same shape and size as they go in. You may remember a mini craze a few years ago about the wonders of coral calcium? All that that was really about was that the type of calcium (calcium carbonate) found in certain coral formations is the type that your body can readily handle. In addition, some coral calcium’s have trace additional minerals that may be beneficial depending your diet and other supplement intake.

Vitamin D — gel cap form preferred — is also important for women, especially as they age, to prevent bone loss and resulting injuries, by helping them digest calcium.

Next topic:  Proteins for weight management.  By me.  Husband of Pamelot.  Endurance Athlete. Chemical engineer.  Former GNC owner, Eric.

26 Responses to Dietary supplements are not evil and can make life less painful.

What is your take on daily vitamins, like Centrum or One A Day?

Eric is traveling, but I’ll let him know he has comments/questions. I know he’ll get to them soon.

• Irene says:

Okie dokie smokie! Thanks! I wonder if they’re worth it. Or should more be taken? I’m not active like you and Eric are, but I don’t eat three square meals a deal either.

Well, try taking two for a couple of weeks and see if your energy picks up. Or, take a look at how you feel versus how you used to or how you want to feel, in general, and hone in in the “what’s missing” part. It might be that there is something specific to address something you may be looking for.

But…2 multis a day is not bad. I would look at adding calcium and vitamin D, before I added anything, to address bone loss. All women at our age should start fighting this as hard as they can.

2. Think I may try your cocktail for the knees. Played tennis in my younger days and now they give me heck when I walk very far. I haven’t had any luck with pills so far, but maybe your liquid recipe will help. Thanks Eric.

3. Sandy says:

I have been giving my dogs and horse Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM to my dogs and horses for years. It works wonders on older arthritic animals so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for humans also. As you know, I can’t take those types of things. My question is about the Sam E. I give that along with Milk Thistle to one of my dogs that has poor liver function. So Sam E for joint pain also baffles me.
    Sandy recently posted..I Use Drugs

I love this little series you are doing! Makes me want to do a little dance to see people getting good info like this and I love learning as much as I can about it, as well – I’m always learning. Can’t wait for the protein post!
    Ally recently posted..The Case Of Mistaken Identity

5. Awesome info. THank you!
    Wild Child Mama recently posted..Peace

6. I was just wondering if you knew what the sugar content in the Wellesse Calcium/Vit. D liquid was. I tried to find it on their website but couldn’t. Perhaps if you had the bottle…Just wondering. I am extremely sensitive to any sugars, even fruit and substitute sugars. But I’d like to make the switch to liquid. Thank you:)
    Wild Child Mama recently posted..Peace

Love learning from those who know more than I do! I know when I switched my mom to liquid vitamins and “green” (she could not swallow pills), I saw a marked difference in her ability to think and function. I’m going to check out some liquid forms of what I take – thank you for taking the time to post this!
    LBDDiaries recently posted..JOY- Live BIG

Irene,

My thoughts on One-a-days like you mentioned are. They are certainly better than nothing. The ones you mentioned are FAR better, than the generic, mega market branded versions, walmart, kmart, target etc.

And the ones produced for companies like GNC and Vitamin World are even better than the ones you mentioned.

I have serious doubts that the average American knowing our diets, can get enough from a 1 pill one-a-day of ANY type. However, I don’t want to discourage you. If that is really all you want to mess with, then get a good one, and you will be doing yourself a lot of good.

Teresa,

I SWEAR the liquid works great, really. Now, one thing that is very noticeable to me about using these (the joint pain related products). People wrongly think that they will have an impact like a pain reliever (Like taking 2 alleave pills and within an hour feeling less pain). They don’t work like that. However, because of this misconception people give up on the product way to early to see if it will have a benefit.

The effect is a very gradual one and YOU WILL NOT notice a difference from day to day. It will take weeks or even months to get to the full benefit. The “knowing it works moment usually comes on for people when one day they realize, that,,,,,

“you know what? my knee has not really bothered me for days now”

The time when you really notice a dramatic effect with these products is when you STOP taking them, after having taken them for a long time. The shocking return to pain is a quick and clear message about how well it was working.

Sandy
    trust me
    🙂
    HAH
    All I can tell you is that there seems to be some interaction that makes the others work better.

Nan,

The liquids really are so much better in essentially all cases. If you can handle the costs and hassles it is the way to go.
    I also agree with Pamela on the creams.
    Just ask Barry Bonds!

12. Ann says:

Keep em coming Eric. Loving the series. Pam, he might end up being like Dr. Oz though if you aren’t careful – breaking out on his own and all that.

Ann
    You REALLY don’t have to worry about that happening.
    But thanks, glad you are enjoying.

14. Buddy says:

I will look into the liquid forms of the multivitamins I already take. Horse pills are part of my current regimen, but that should change. I have been curious as the the best time to take what vitamins so they don’t compete to absorb and have found links like this:

Any opinion or good resources in that area?

– Buddy

Buddy,
    Good stuff, its a great link and I have to admit its an area that I do not know enough about. I think there is quite a bit of evidence supporting the importance of timing, and also as it relates to meals, type of food etc. If anyone else wants to jump in on this I am all ears but, as I said it is an area I am afraid I am a little weak on.

Personally I spread my supplement intake out during the day with the majority taken in the morning, however I have not applied much since to it. YET :)!