Karma is the dog on your left. Little Bear is on the right. Unfortunately, he died on St. Croix from bee stings. De rainforest can be harsh.

The preparations for one of Eric’s trip to India are intense.  He has to get his Visa, work out “in country” travel plans to several cities (security is an issue), and go to the doctor for shots and to get prescription medications. One of the prescriptions he always gets is an antibiotic, Cipro.

A few days before he was due to leave on one of his trips, one of our (many) pets, a German Shepherd named Karma, came down with what looked like an foot infection. Eric diligently researched the issue on the internet, and learned that his Cipro could be used in appropriate dosage to treat the condition (kids, don’t try this at home).  Since our vet bills are scandalous, he decided he would take matters into his own hands.

So he gave Karma the Cipro… or at least what he thought was the Cipro. Actually, he accidentally gave her the anti-diarrheal medicine, first. Her feet weren’t any better but she did have really solid poop.  He switched her to the real Cipro.

Off Eric went to India. His flight from Newark to Mumbai was 16 hours. About halfway through his flight, 2 of our 3 “at home” kids (we have 2 more who have flown the nest) came down with the flu. Coincidentally, Eric came down with it at the same time, somewhere over the Atlantic. He got to Mumbai at about 10 p.m., and waited through long lines in immigration in a posture of near death and with no medications available, but then luckily his kindly driver took him to get the Indian facsimiles of Pepto-Bismol (called, I kid you not, VOMISTOP) and Theraflu. He finally arrived at his hotel nearly twenty-four hours after he started, and sick as a dog, so to speak.

Two long days of high stakes meetings and travel and 3 sleepless nights later in Jamnagar, he finally got to visit a doctor. He was staying in a refinery compound of 700 houses and one large guest “house,” a giant spa-like structure with marble, fountains, restaurant, workout facility, and ….a 24-hour clinic with a real doctor. The doctor was free, the prescription cost only $1.99. The medication: Cipro!

I am pleased to report that both Eric and the dog recovered just fine.

p.s. This story is from 2007.  Karma has a new family in the country as of 2008.  We miss her, but 300 pounds of canine in our small city backyard just wouldn’t work.  We kept one dog from each side of our blended family of six St. Croix rainforest dogs: Cowboy the Big Yellow Dog and Layla the Wonder Dog.  I’ll share Layla’s story with you soon.

20 Responses to At least the dog feels better.

I’m glad Eric AND Karma recovered! Vomistop, huh? Well, that gets the point across – no mistaking what it’s for. LOL
    Ally recently posted..Aging Ungracefully

I love a story with a happy ending! So glad all the furry creatures are doing great!
    LBDDiaries recently posted..Traces of My Dad

3. Tracie says:

Vomistop is kind of a genius (all be it gross) name for a product.

I’m glad that he was able to see a doctor and everyone was okay.
    Tracie recently posted..Fathers Day – From Katarina

I still laugh about this one
    At least Karma had solid poop!
    Oh man though does it bring back bad memories of how sick I was.

and VOMITSTOP actually works!

Sorry VOMISTOP Pamela had it correct

7. Vomitstop and solid poops. Gosh I do love this blog. xoxo’s

8. Pamela says:

Thanks Terri. I aim high.

9. Pamela,
    so happy that Karma (love that name) and Eric are doing well…. Shit,
    i’d hate to be sick flying over the Atlantic

please use this post!! sorry
    kikm sisto robinson recently posted..DisFigured

Still laughing over the Vomistop!

Researching pet meds over the internet is a good idea. I’ve do it. Also, did you know that when a vet prescribes an antibiotic, steroids, or other drugs people take, you can ask for a script and have it filled at a regular drugstore? And if the drugstore has a free antibiotic program and your dog’s antibiotic is on the list, it’s free. (A pharmacist friend told me about that one.)

11. I love it – vomistop – hilarious! Still laughing! And giving your dog anti-poop medicine – well, double hilarious! If I ever come to your house, I’ll bring my own meds, though! LOL
    Blue Cotton Memory recently posted..The Brotherhood Hug – and Other Codes of Hugging

12. […] sadly.  When we moved to the states, our nanny kept Callia and our house sitters kept Jake.  Karma came with us, but has since relocated to a country home with a new family.  And you’ve read […]