I once posted “happiness is love of Eric in the rearview mirror,” based on a lyrics snatch from Mac Davis’ classic song.

Those lyrics take on a whole new meaning now.

Chilling image of countryside outside of Bastrop, TX, taken during the fires that started on September 4, 2011.

Thanks to photographer Jimmy Watts, a very popular local musician with his band The Watts Brothers.  Visit their website, check out their music, and contact him through booking@thewbb.com.  Comment to let him know what you think about his photo.  I hear he has sold autographed copies to raise money for Fire Relief.  What a great cause!  Y’all give him some love and buy this amazing photo.    For the complete story, click here:  Story of the Horses Photograph, or scroll down to his proud mama’s comment below (herself a celebrated local artist: click here for Jo Watts’ pottery/sculpture and more.

And this is only 30 miles from Nowheresville, y’all.  We smelled the smoke most of Labor Day weekend.  The fires in Bastrop are only 30% contained as of 9-9-11, despite the efforts of scores of volunteers and aerial drops of fire retardant from DC-10’s.

Prayers to all of the victims of the fires in Texas this month that have left more than 1000 families without homes and burned to the ground some of the most beautiful land/forests and state parks that you could imagine.  In Houston, we are currently experiencing ash and smoke from fires more than 30 miles away in Magnolia.

Eric and I return to Nowheresville this weekend, where we will be super careful — and we’re toting extra water for the poor deer and other critters.

Stay safe, everyone,

p.s. For pictures of how dry it is, see “If a tree falls in the forest,” where I posted pictures from our once lush and green forested property.

20 Responses to Love of Texas in the rearview mirror.

1. Wow, that picture is amazing! You all stay safe, first and foremost. I can’t even imagine.
    Theresa Sonoda recently posted..Jeanscape

My sister and BIL have a vacation home about 30 miles east of the Bastrop fires. Safe for now, but so terrible and way too close to home. I ache for all those people that have lost homes in either the fires or the floods in the northeast. Wish we could just get a happy medium for everone!
    Ally recently posted..Unwelcome House Guests

3. Incredibly profound…
    —the horses bring a sense of normality and beauty;
    and then thru the mirror, the devastation of the fires.
    Chilling.

WOW )) xx
    My Inner Chick recently posted..Be Nice! Or I’ll Post About You In My Blog.

My heart breaks for you and everyone in Texas. I’m praying for rain.
    JennyBean recently posted..I called Gateway and got India

5. How amazing that picture is – that huge fire in the mirror is freaky scary. You be EXTRA careful this weekend. It is always hard to wrap a mind around people losing everything – memory photos, irreplacable items, stuff… everything. Makes me double my efforts to give away any unnecessary stuff to Salvation Army to hopefully help others.
    nan @ LBDDiaries recently posted..I’ll Be Loving Him Always

6. Sandy says:

I can’t believe the person that took that photo didn’t watermark it or something…how beautiful, yet terrifying.
    Sandy recently posted..Jury Duty

7. Pete Sommers says:

The photographer was Jo Watts, a very popular, very talented artist in Bastrop, and the rider is her son, Jimmy, who is well known locally from his group, The Watts Brothers Band. If I remember correctly, Jo didn’t realize what an amazing photo she had taken until she downloaded it later.

8. Pete Sommers says:

Correction to the above post; the photographer was actually Jo Watts’ son, Jimmy.

Oh man, thank you so much! I’m very excited to learn who the photographer is, and be able to get in touch for permissions and/or attributions/linkage. Thank you thank you thank you!

9. Jo Watts says:

My son,Jimmy Watts, took this pic. Our horses, his brother.

10. Jo Watts says:

My youngest son, Jimmy Watts, took this photo as he was escorting my oldest son, Tommy, and the horses to safety in Smithville. The yearling stallion and 3 month old filly had never been outside the pasture they were born in nor had they ever been haltered. They obviously trusted Tommy and their mama as they followed her on the 13 mile trip through the woods, down the highway and over the Colorado River bridge (that was the only place where I had to lead them.

Jim is very modest and never thought to watermark the photo; he didn’t realize that others would see the drama and beauty that he saw. Over the past several weeks, he has sold several signed copies with no intention of making money for himself and has donated all the proceeds to the many fire relief funds.

Thank you for your interest in the picture. We were evacuated for 2 weeks but, thanks to our tireless and brave firefighters, all of us, horses, dogs, cats, chickens, ducks and family are safe at home again.

-Jo

I’ve emailed you — let me know what you guys want me to do. I can pull the picture, or I can attribute it and link to a place people can buy it (that could even be an email).

And thank you for sharing your amazing story. It’s as stunning as your son’s evocative photograph.

Readers, visit Jo’s site to see her Pottery, Sculpture and more (beautiful!): http://www.jowattsclaysmith.com/
      Visit http://www.thewbb.com to see the photographer’s band’s site (The Watts Brothers Band)

11. Jo Watts says:

Pamela, you are just about the most generous person I’ve “met”! Thank you for the kind words about my son and about me, too! The photo has been enlarged, matted and framed and is hanging in the Bastrop Fine Arets Guild gallery in Bastrop.

Jo, that is so wonderful! it’s a fantastic work. I hope it gets the attention it deserves. And you are very welcome. Thank you continuing to let me post it. It gets a lot of hits. I hope some of them come find you. I couldn’t figure out how to do a watermark. 🙁 I’m not very talented with graphics software, apparently!