For the last year or three, a male gecko has used our master bedroom sliding glass door as his bug hunting hang out.

I adore him.

Nothing defuses whatever ugly mood swing I’m experiencing faster than spying his little green body tip toeing across the glass.  He only comes out at night, and only in late spring through early fall.

In the past, he was always alone.  Solo gecko.  A bachelor.  The gecko man about town.  Until June of this year.

In June, I looked up one evening and saw the blessed sight of Mr. Gecko with a Miss, who later became his Mrs. (or at least his baby mama).  I snapped this blurry shot.  Where did she come from?  Is there a GeckoMatch.com?  Were they betrothed from birth by gecko parents eager to ensure the perpetuation of their shared gecko genetics and culture?  Or did Mr. Gecko’s friends tire of his partying bachelor ways and set him up on a blind date with a hot young thing to entice him into a more settled lifestyle?  Whatever and however, it was gecko love.

One month later, I discovered a tiny red gecko baby with bulbous eye-orbs under translucent lids.  He had found his way into our master bath.  We watched him until he escaped without a whisper under our cabinets.  Within two weeks, I saw another of the offspring on the glass with Mom and Pop.  They were all too far apart to get a snap of  themtogether, but Pop huffed out his chest/neck in obvious pride.

How cool is gecko love?  I <3 our gecko family.

In other news, I am hard at work on the book version of the Clark Chronicles (tales of tears, laughter, some wisdom, and much wonder from the trenches of special needs parenting), and it is going, dare I say, quite well.  I hope to release it and several other books (surprise, surprise) before Christmas, with some follow-up additional book releases by the end of first quarter 2012.  The release of Easy to Love But Hard to Raise is upcoming, too, around the same 1Q12 timeframe.  Stay tuned, folks.

Eric has recovered from his concussion.  Thanks for the well-wishes and the shared laughs.

Kids are all great.  Pets are doing well, too.  I am finally not sick and can resume serious training after five weeks mostly off.  Our November Half Ironman Triathlon in Conroe, TX has changed to one in Galveston in April, but it’s all good.  No complaints here!

Have a super weekend,

23 Responses to I now pronounce you gecko and wife.

1. Jessi says:

That is absolutely adorable. I want a gecko family.
    Jessi recently posted..From Amy: On My 4th Anniversary

2. Thanks for the update, Pamela. Our family are huge Gecko lovers and if you’ve seen my wife’s wrist you’ll see that it is sort of our family emblem.

Darryl
    Loving the Bike recently posted..Loving the BITE: Basil Cauliflower Soup

We have a gecko, but no gecko romance. How cool!
    JennyBean recently posted..Doctors, ducks and the hospitality industry

The thought that I had when reading this was about how much my life has changed since you and I have been together. Something like a gecko on the sliding glass door would have previously not even have registered as a blip on my radar as I sleepwalked through my life.

Now I see a gecko coming back over and over, and then two, and then a baby, as this beautiful wonderful amazing thing. And I know to some of you that read this you will be thinking “what a bunch of drivel” but I don’t care.

I see things more clearly now, things are more beautiful to me, things that I could not have cared less about before are now important. And the world makes me smile, instead of fight.

I remember so clearly meeting you and thinking, “That is one angry man.” Most people that read me, now, didn’t ever know that you. So they have no way of knowing why your “driveL comment” makes me cry 🙂

I am glad you are not sleep walking, and that you are smiling wide awake walking with me.

And you know, and I have written ad nauseum, about the magic you worked on me.

Thank YOU.
      Pamela recently posted..Two true.

And I freakin crazy <3 those darn geckoes!
      Pamela recently posted..If a tree falls in the forest.

5. I’m freakin’ crazy about you guys and your gecko family and your drivel comment and the love Eric expressed in his comment that made me go “aww” and choke up, in a good way, I think most people are sleep walking through their lives, incapable to seeing what is real, beautiful and importantWe had our first calf the other day – I’d NEVER seen a birth seconds after it happened – it was awe-inspiring – LIFE being brought into my backyard – well Leland’s pasture but still… it was amazing. I am so glad you guys gag me. Seriously!
    nan @ LBDDiaries recently posted..The Loves of My Life

6. Susie says:

I agree. Geckos are very cute. Can’t wait to be the first to buy all of your books.

7. Cinnamon says:

I’m wandering over here via your comment on my blog about Nan’s post. And I’m glad I did. Really nice post. I love geckos too. I secretly call them gizzards. LOL If I see one, I say, “Run Gizzard Run”. And I HATE it when my cat catches one.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Cinnamon recently posted..~The Virtue Series…What IS Virtue? by Nan

8. —Oh, My, So Romantic. I love those little slimy things :))) xx I love that he found LOVE. x
    My Inner Chick recently posted..Soaking Inside The Excess Of Vegas

I heart geckos. We had a very frisky Mr and Mrs that came out on the wall above the head of our bed on our last stay in Maui. They entertained us each night we were there. 🙂
    Ally recently posted..Sometimes You Just Need A Little…

10. Lessa says:

I always think of the cartoon geko from the advert, if it was real I would want it as a pet!
    Lessa recently posted..Mobile discount code

11. Tom says:

Cute story. Unfortunately our cat is an up and coming hunter and catches any small creature that comes any here near our house.

12. […] I crazy-love the geckos who prance on our sliding glass door a few months of each year, the bachelor gecko who found his […]