I told Petey the plan for November. He doesn't think it includes much time for wrestling, tug of war, walks, or giving puppies their treats. Pout pout.

Sadly, I think I am going to sit out what would be my 4th consecutive Nanowrimo in favor of finishing my work-in-progress projects.

For y’all newbies, November is National Novel Writing Month — aka Nanowrimo — and participants write 50,000 words of fiction in 30 days to “win” prestigious Nano honors.  I wrote my first three novels in my first three Nanos.  No one will ever read them if I keep writing new ones, though.  I have to buff, polish, and CLOSE.

However, Nano rocks.

I want to Nano.

But I want to finish my soon-to-be-published books more.

THEREFORE, in honor of Nano, I am taking off four weeks in November to write.

Yes, I am completely absconding from paying work.  I am going to stress myself out as I watch our bank account dwindle, while I piddle around with words on pages.  Piddle.  Piddlepiddlepiddle.  And then piddle some more.  Lots and lots of piddling.

Awesome.  With all that I’ve learned about myself in my three previous Nano’s, I know how much writing work I can churn out.  I’m going to have to top my 65,000-word Nano effort from last year, in terms of effort, if I am to succeed in releasing my intended set of books before Christmas.  [update: realistically, let’s push this back to end of 1st quarter, LOL, wow do I get overly optimistic!]

Wish me luck.    And save some pennies up to buy MY BOOKS.

p.s. Non-fiction in 1 q 12, Fiction later in 2012.  Y’all will have to wait for Katie and Annalise just a little bit longer.  Too many damn projects going at once.  (Note to self: 2011 resolutions — NO NEW PROJECTS UNTIL I FINISH THE OLD ONES.)

p.p.s.  Does a kids’ series on The Adventures of Petey the One-Eyed Dog count as a new project if I thought of it in 2011??

30 Responses to To nano or not to nano.

Pamela, I admire your drive, and November may just be more profitable than you think… in the long run.

Happy editing!
    JennyBean recently posted..It’s wonderful day at Maison Bean

2. Heidi Dorey says:

I’m gonna try again this year. I’m hoping to make it to the end.
    I am excited that you will be writing again!

3. This will be my first NaNoWriMo and I’m quite nervous. I have an outline and pretty much know where I will start, bright and early Tuesday morning. Pretty much. That’s not saying all that much, though, because my outlines are not very dependable. I need to work on that. I have no time. Just one more day. O.M.G.
    Wish you were writing NaNo too, but I totally understand your taking off and moving on. I’m sure you’ll see my “groans” on FB. LOL
    Terri
    Theresa Sonoda recently posted..Na.No.Wri.Mo. Oh No!

Most important newbie tip: DON’T EDIT YOUR WRITING AS YOU GO. Just let it flow, even if it is shit 🙂
      Start with page one and work your way to “the end”, wherever “the end” is (for me last year I had to get to 65,000 to have the original bones for what was cut by 15,000 then became 85,000 semi-finished words six months later). If you don’t write it, you can’t edit it. And then rewrite it. And writing IS rewriting. You will understand what I mean later. For now, don’t stop typing, and don’t read what you wrote the day before when you start the next day or you will inevitably fall prey to the time-sucking, energy-draining, word-stopping, heart-crushing edit monster.
      1800 words a day, and that leaves you a day off at the end 🙂
      Pamela recently posted..To nano or not to nano.

4. Vidya Sury says:

This is my first NaNoWriMo and I am very excited. I’ve got big plans for writing non-fiction and I am determined to make it work 🙂 If nothing else, I hope to have loads of content for my blog or for my clients 😛 whichever way it works out.

I am totally impressed that you wrote three novels through three NaNoWriMo events! And yes, I am saving the pennies and wishing you LOADS OF LUCK! Say hi! to Petey from me 😉
    Vidya Sury recently posted..Sunday In My City – A walk around my area

Vidya:
      How exciting to be on the eve of your first Nano! Sending good thoughts…you have a GREAT attitude about success in Nano too. Any words written are words not written before. If they serve a higher purpose than creation/learning, then woo hoo 🙂

Thanks! And Petey says hi. He is displeased with my choice of laptop over puppy right now, so he was glad to get a little attention.
      Pamela recently posted..Peace out. Part 2.

5. Heidi M says:

I’m with ya, P ~ too many unfinished projects and with heidimilton.com rocking I’m gonna have to put my energies thereinstead of in Nano.
    You go!! I’ll start saving for my set of books!
    Heidi M recently posted..HeidiMilton.com is LIVE!

6. I’m leaning toward being a Nano-dropout in favor of works in progress.

7. I’m with you this year. I’m still going to treat November like nano, just with WIPS. Good luck to you!

8. Is half a Nano better than none? I wonder!

“Soon come” Pamela, that was goooooood!
    I am very excited about your projects and think its really smart to come out of this period with 5 completed works instead of 3 completed and 3 partials. or whatever the actual numbers end up being. This is a great time of year to watch you because I love when you get serious about your self and your writing. GOOOOO Pamela, 2012 is going to be really exciting.

10. Well, half a nano is still a 25,000 words month, which ain’t shabby 🙂

11. Pamela says:

Thanks. Jumbies dem soon come, that’s what it feels like. It’s scary, and easier to just put it all back on the virtual shelf and hide.

But I just discovered guru.com and am looking for a freelance copywriter/proofreader/editor. We shall see! and of course Heidi is out for bids on the cover art. Woot!
    Pamela recently posted..The pain of puppy love.

12. Sandy Webb says:

NaNoWriMo really should be in a different month. November….Thanksgiving, family visiting, Christmas shopping etc. I don’t know how you guys do it!

I am saving my pennies for your novels.

Petey, I love Petey. Don’t neglect him too much in November. Like that would ever happen! TaterTot wants to be in the Petey children’s books 🙂
    Sandy Webb recently posted..Double Infinity

13. Pamela says:

Awesome, Tater Tot will have a part. Fun!
    Pamela recently posted..I now pronounce you gecko and wife.

14. Pamela,
    good luck on the writing!
    Sooo hard to balance everything, isn’t it? So hard.
    How is little Petey doing? Xx
    My Inner Chick recently posted..26 Things I Have Done

15. Rhonda says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Ok, I’m happy you’ll get your other stuff done (YOU WILL!) but BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Dislike that only my second year I’m doing Nano alone. All things considered, I guess I’ll forgive you (ha).

16. I was all excited and pumped up and can’t find someone to get excited with me! LOL

17. I would have done the nano but there is absolutely no way – partly because like you, I have several that need to be completed not start new ones! I was so glad to see Petey’s purty leetle pix up there. What a doll. And you know your piddling is so much better than other people’s plain, ordinary writing! I have money for your books – can’t wait!! And no, The Adventures of Petey the One-Eyed Dog doesn’t count as a new project!! How is the citrus spray working out? Did you find a source locally?
    nan @ LBDDiaries recently posted..Whatever Lola Wants Lola Gets

18. I’m excited with you! Write Rhonda, write!

19. Marcela says:

Thank you for making the effort to explain the terminlogy towards the newbies!