Stop the press. Last week I confessed that our Boston Terrier Petey was rejecting Protestant Christianity in favor of Catholicism. We discovered this from the traces of ash on his forehead on Ash Wednesday during Catholic Lent.

But what a difference a week makes. I walked in today, and found him in this pose. There was no yoga DVD playing to explain his body position, no reason for his devout prostration other than, you guessed it: a change of faith. Petey is now a Muslim, and below is a photograph of him praying, facing Mecca.

He needs to work on his form, methinks, but he’s only an 8-month old dog. Okay, click here if you need to see a picture of the real thing.

So, as you can see, religious experimentation continues at our house.

Or is it something else? Is all this “mixing it up” religion-wise genuine, or is Petey setting me up for a discrimination charge? Maybe he’s caught the lawyer ads on daytime TV when he watches with Susanne. I have been coming down on him pretty hard for his obstinate refusal to potty train, after all, and he’s sharp enough to have noticed the other dogs aren’t catching hell. I’m rethinking everything now. His disability (one eye)? He could have stuck his head in Cowboy’s mouth intentionally. His bi-racial heritage (his coat is half black and half white)? Might be nothing more than a template, masking tape, and black hair dye on a white dog. And now? The Tiny Protestant became the Tiny Catholic who has become the Tiny Muslim. Next week I’ll probably find him in dreadlocks, meditating and chanting mantras.

Or maybe I’m just paranoid.

Oy vey,

p.s. No, dogs can’t sue their owners for discrimination.

p.p.s. And your kids can’t sue you for it either. (Thank God)

p.p.p.s. While I have disclosed that I am a Protestant Christian, we live in a neighborhood with a high concentration of Orthodox Jewish families, and they are awesome neighbors. My son is Caucasian, and his girlfriend is Black-Filipino. My sisters-in-law are Swedish and Indian. My husband is West Indian and my ex-father-in-law was Mexican-American. I recently had the privilege of facilitating a multi-faith, multi-racial, and multi-ethnic training session on diversity and inclusion. It rocked. So, rest assured, that when I write these tongue-in-cheek posts, I do it with a light heart lit up with love for all. Petey — and all the rest of y’all — are wonderful to me just the way you are.

16 Responses to Tiny Muslim.

1. You crack me up. I have a biracial dog too (black and white). I’m protestant, the huz is catholic but I fear the dog might be a satan-worshiper. The cat too. The two of them are evil and in cahoots. I still love them though 🙂
    Jen {at} take2mommy recently posted..Date with B in the Year 2020

2. Jennifer says:

Ozzie (the pug) is an anarchist. He has renounced Judaism despite our best efforts to bring him into the fold. I can’t wait to hear what Petey discovers next! Tell him I’m sending a yarmulke stat.
    XO
    Jennifer recently posted..The Apple, The Monster, And The Cookie

An Orthodox jewish Private school came in 2nd place last weekend in the Texas Association of Public and Private Schools boys basketball playoffs. Their yarmulke’s matched their uniforms. And I think they should give them extra points for keeping them in place while they play. If they’d had the point bump, they might’ve won it all. Actually, with only 71 students in the high school, their success is mindblowing.
      Pamela recently posted..On the occasion of a joint sick day with Eric.

3. I love it! I love diversity!
    Julie (@MomCycFan) recently posted..Just Jules Famous Grape Salad

4. Susie says:

Loved it.

Smiling big with this one. It always shocks me how uptight people get if these subjects get discussed in a fun and casual way. It would help so much if people would just exhale a little an celebrate our differences and the beauty of it all.

Yep. Big exhale. I had a class recently where I got to watch something cool — conservative Christian men interacting with a Muslim woman in her hijab, and gradually relaxing with her and “getting it” — she was a just a co-worker, just another human, and a really nice one at that.
      Pamela recently posted..Certifiably something.

OMG, What if he’s a reincarnation of some dead Islamic dude?
    Irene recently posted..The Inevitable Brady Post

7. Soooo, has anyone ever told you that you’re a bit… um… shall we say warped? That you look at the world through different eyes than most?

And how eternally grateful I am? You light my world with laughter!
    nan @ lbddiaries recently posted..He’s My Best Friend