Rhiannon Frater

‘Twas a good weekend for me, my friends. A really good weekend. Why?

So many reasons. First, Eric came to the Houston Writers’ Guild Annual Conference with me. As my partner in our indie publishing journey with Skipjack, he’s embracing the writing life. I think he loved it, actually, except for maybe the part where people recognized him from pictures on my blog talking about his underwear. OK, he may have even liked that a little.

We attended a kick ass workshop on indie publishing taught by Rhiannon Frater, author of bloodthirsty vampire and zombie books, no sparkles anywhere! I bought one of her books, The Tale of the Vampire Bride, but I’m scared to read it, shhhh, don’t tell her.

We made cool new friends like Nicholas, a horror writer, and Rodney Walther, a “women’s fiction” (he said it, not me) writer (think Nicholas Sparks, and try Rodney’s Broken Laces) who I’m totally going to have guest blog here some day soon. We reunited with awesome friends who we don’t see enough of, like Nikki Loftin (whose middle grade book The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy will release in August, and it’s amazing) and Rebecca Nolen, who better not flake out on me for the summer workshop.

We were inspired by novelist and U of H creative writing prof Chitra Divakaruni, so inspired that I bought another book: Sister of My Heart (this one isn’t scary).

I’ve already told you about Rodney and Nikki, but I left out that they presented and were fabulous, too. Rodney talked about tuna pudding (wow, that sounds really bad on a blog LOL) and Nikki broke out her glass slippers.

If that was all the good stuff, I still would have thought the weekend grand. But there was more. I submitted in two categories for the conference contest this year: Mainstream Fiction, and Narrative Non-fiction. And guess what? I won them both! OK, I tied with a Canadian for Mainstream, but I still got a check! And in Narrative Non-fiction, they didn’t announce the winner at the conference, so I didn’t know until the next day, but that’s fine. Kinda awesome, huh?

I met with a few agents, too, but I’m 100% convinced that traditional publishing is not my path. I am happy about the road I’ve chosen, and I love the feeling of control and independence. I’m sending off the requested manuscripts to these two women, but it just doesn’t feel right.

So after doublin’ on my wins, I went home and made some final tweaks on Conceding Grace and sent her off to my wunderbar editor Meghan, then wrangled teenagers, did the ever-bitchin’ P90X yoga, and re-plotted Discovering Katie and Leaving Annalise with my sweetie, who is my plot consultant on every piece of fiction I write. We updated our indie-pub countdown-to-do-list, and ticked off post-conference tasks.  In fact, we finished everything we set out to do. Don’t you love it when you have a really productive day? It’s the best feeling.

So, it was a good weekend, all around. I’m hoping for an even better week. How about you?

20 Responses to Doublin’. And I don’t mean the capital of Ireland.

1. Wow, congratulations Pamela. That is fantastic news….you’re definitely off to a great start this week.

Darryl
    Loving the Bike recently posted..Make it Happen Monday: Perfection

With what is happening “author-preneurial” publishing, (the buzzword that has taken the place of self publishing), it is such a cool, amazing time. Writers like you are truly empowered and the tools are available to make it happen in a real, professional, amazing way.

The bottom line that people shouldn’t forget is that you still have to do it RIGHT, book needs to be great, the editing needs to be perfect, the cover art needs to be special, etc etc. Even if you do everything right there are no guarantees, but there aren’t with traditional publishing either, in fact, it seems there is less and less opportunity every day with that route.

What I also like is that you get to keep your “voice” and it is your voice Pamela, that makes you special, that differentiates you from everyone else. You get to tell your story, the way you want it, not to a formula that an agent and publishing house editor think meet a certain criteria that they can sell.

All of the supporters of Pamela that have been so wonderful so far in helping build her platform and spread the word and read the drafts and on and on,,,,,,, THANK YOU!
    And
    KNOW THIS, Pamela and I will do anything that we can to support your endeavors, whatever they are. If you need help driving traffic to your blog, if you need help promoting something you are doing… whatever we can do. We will do our best to always pay FORWARD, and pay back, for all of the amazing support you have given.

3. Meghan says:

I’m deliriously happy for you! Congratulations on your double wins. I TOLD you they were just trying to figure out which of your nonfiction entries to choose. 🙂 Joy, joy, joy.

4. Sandy Webb says:

When I read your post I was all smiles and happy for you. So, CONGRATULATIONS!! But then I read Eric’s comment and his support and devotion to you brought tears to my eyes. You are very lucky to have his unconditional love and support.
    Sandy Webb recently posted..Life. Love. Infinite. Within You. Now. Always

5. Way to go Pamela! So excited for you and everything good that is happening to you!
    Julie (@MomCycFan) recently posted..Time Machine Tuesday: Some Things Never Change

6. It was a great conference and I’m serious about the class. A little set-back on Sunday night when my mother fell and put her shoulder out of joint and now will fight me about going to a skilled nursing facility for rehab, but more on that later. I’ll be at the class. Also – think about a critique group…
    rebecca nolen recently posted..Houston Writer’s Guild 2012 Conference Goes Without a Hitch

7. Congratulations on your two wins! Yeay! I love that your husband supports what you do.
    Jen {at} take2mommy recently posted..Deep Thoughts from the Family Furbabies

8. Terri Sonoda says:

Wow, your journey so far sounds amazing. I’m hoping to take similar steps (the self-publishing, etc) in the not-too-distant future. I have a lot of homework and research to do on publishing though, first. Congrats on your wins! Awesome, and so well-deserved!
    Hugs,
    Terri
    Terri Sonoda recently posted..A little randomness never hurt anybody

Hey you! I was just thinking about you. I’ve been MIA from the bloggy world for a couple of weeks and was just getting caught up. Mimi is about to have foot surgery (AGAIN) and I’m in a waiting room with my iPad and a few hours of peace.

What a great weekend! And you won both awards! You go, Pamelot!

One of these days when you’re on the NYT bestseller list, I’m going to tell everyone that you’re my friend….. And they’re probably going to think I’m making it up!
    JennyBean recently posted..Reemerging

10. I would have more surprised if you hadn’t won. You are a wonderful author and I love “hearing” the confidence growing in you now that you’ve taken this route. You seem much more at peace. It’s like before, you were being jerked around by the publishing world and now, you have the control and knowledge that you are good and people love what you write! It is only going to get better!!
    nan @ lbddiaries recently posted..Redneck Entertainment

Congrats on your wins! FABulous!
    Ally recently posted..Powers of Observation & Friday Funny